Burn Permit Regulations

Burn Permits

Kodiak Island Borough Code 8.35 requires that anyone on the road system conducting open burning must have a burn permit. Those wanting to conduct open burning inside the city limits or on Coast Guard Property must obtain a different permit by contacting those agencies.

Kodiak Island Borough Road System Burn Permits are only available online, although staff at the Bayside Fire Station and Women's Bay Fire Station may be able to assist you in applying.  

Contact Information

For questions about fires in your area, please contact one of the following:

  • Inside the Kodiak City limits please contact the Kodiak City Fire Station at (907) 486-8040. 
  • On Coast Guard Property please contact the Coast Guard Fire Station at (907) 487-5808.
  • In the Womens Bay Area please contact the Womens Bay Fire Station at (907) 487-4312.
  • In Fire Protection Area No. 1 (generally north of the Kodiak city limits) please contact the Bayside Fire Station at (907) 486-4536.


The issuance of any burn permit is conditional upon the following regulations referenced in Kodiak Island Borough Code of Ordinances 8.35 the Uniform Fire Code 11.203, and DEC Regulations.

  1. Outdoor incinerators must be of an approved type and must be at least 15 feet away from any structure. (Call the Fire Marshall at (907) 486-8040 for details on approved incinerators for residential use.)
  2. The burning of grass, tree branches, and other burnable scrap material not in incinerators may be burned outdoors when other conditions are met and the burn pile is at least 50 feet from any structure.
  3. If the burn pile is three feet or less in diameter and two feet or less in height, the distance may be reduced to no closer than 25 feet from any structure.
  4. For all burning, the permitted or adult designee must be in attendance at all times.
  5. Burning shall occur only on permitted days between the hours of sunrise and sunset when wind speed does not exceed 15 knots.
  6. A fire extinguisher or water hose must be available at all times at the burn site. Burning of any material that produces dense or offensive smoke (e.g. plastic, rubber, petroleum products) is prohibited. The use of these permits does not protect the permitted from any liability incurred as a result of conducting open burning.

Thank you for being careful with fire.